Saturday, January 20, 2007

January 19 – Friday

I just saw a big, fat owl perched in a tree on the bank! We are underway on the Tombigbee River about 170 miles from Mobile. No, it isn’t any warmer, the cold and rain caught up with us a few days ago – but at least the sun is out today.

Yesterday was a good day. Lionel and Bob were going to spruce up the girls, Rita, Louise and Mercedes. They needed oil changes and some other stuff. Pat and Victor went to the grocery store and I visited downtown Demopolis. The guys dropped me off on the way – however, it is in walking distance of the Marina. Downtown consists of two streets, about three blocks long, at the center, a park with pond and fountain. Even this time of the year there were some lillies (is there any such thing as winter lillies?) pansies and what looks like ornamental cabbage in bloom. Quite pretty even though it was (as usual) cloudy and sprinkling.

Temperature wasn’t too bad – about mid-50’s I think. It was enjoyable to window shop – I did go in every place that was open – so I guess window-shopping means “just looking”. Everyone was very nice and I got to chat with all of them. At the post office when I asked for directions – the gal pulled out a telephone book – I thought the phone books in Key Largo and Crawfordville were small – this was teeny tiny. Anyway, she gave me instruction. My destination was the Bluff House, a historical antebellum home on the river. I walked the grounds of the old home that eventually winds down to the river. Here the river has what some refer to as the white bluffs. They are probably 15 – 20 feet or so in height, white and line the bank of the river. They are, actually limestone. In the gift shop at the house, I found that the bluffs used to be 40 or so feet higher. In 1953 with the advent of the dam, the water level rose about 40 feet covering most of the bluff.

I treated myself to lunch at the Napoleons Café in the historical Demopolis Inn. Great potato soup and ½ fresh chicken salad sandwich. Pat and Vic picked me up on the way back to the Marina. Definitely a nice few hours.

Our return found the Captain visiting with another cruiser who is wintering here. Pete has lived and traveled for the past 10 years on a 40’ Marine Trader Trawler. He had Bob bring his laptop to his boat so they could download some navigational program that will interface with the GPS. I understand Bob provided a tour of Achievement to Pete and another Captain while we were gone. Needless to say, the planned pampering for the girls didn’t get done. Last evening we all piled in the Marina’s courtesy car and drove to the Red Barn restaurant. It is actually and old barn made into a restaurant. A uniquely different place to dine. Food was good, but the company was better.

Lionel and I jumped ship and opted for a motel room for the night. Sure was nice after sleeping in separate cabins. All and all the stop provided some needed down time for the captain and crew.

This AM (our usually early start) Lionel and I got back on board about 7:00 AM – Yep! Everyone was asleep. I banged on doors and got some mumbled “good mornings”. Lionel (for the second time in his life) has vertigo and is really feeling terrible. Bob, Pat and Victor tended to the girls needs, while I did a couple loads of laundry. Finally off the dock about 10:00AM. For the first time we went through a lock with two other pleasure boaters. The Demopolis Lock was our next to last lock, the last being at Coffeeville 100 some odd miles away.

The river is (an unmolested Tombigbee) wider here with water carved banks of what appears to be clay. Some boat ramps and creeks here and there. More barge traffic than we’ve seen in a while, but no homes or civilizations on this stretch. We have no phone or internet signal and I’m guessing we probably won’t till tomorrow some time.

In spite of our not so early days and mishaps, we are making pretty good time. We expect to be in Mobile Sunday or Monday. Guess the Capt. is correct and we will be home by the end of the month……

No comments: